Sunday 10 February 2013

Sorry: you will never catch up on lost sleep.

I spend a lot of time thinking, talking and fantasizing about sleep : my baby's sleep, my sleep... Honestly, I'm not that concerned about my husband's sleep. People warn you about this before you have children (the sleep thing, not your disregard for your husband's needs. No-one mentions that. Perhaps it's a given?). Depending on your stage in life, you are likely to have the following opinion on baby-induced sleep deprivation:

  • If you aren't planning a family : "Ugh! Enough already! If you love sleep so much, why did you have kids?"
  • If you are thinking about possibly planning a family : "Oooh babies are so cute! They're so peaceful when they sleep! (insert misty eyes here)"
  • If you are actively planning a family : "Oooh babies are so cute! Oh, we have to, er, go, it's time to, er *cough*... It's only a 36 hour window, ok?"
  • If you are pregnant : "Pfft. I don't get much sleep as it is with this tiny baby kicking me all night long! I will be able to handle it"
  • If you have one baby : "OH MY GOD I just want more than 2 hours straight! I've aged 10 years. *Grooooaaaaaannnnn*"
  • If you have more than one child : "*snort* Wha..? Oh, yeah. Nah, we got 2 hours straight last night, which was nice. So, you know. All good. Wait. What were we talking about? Is that chocolate over there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment